Smart Strategies for Buying Online
Tips That Will Save You Time, Stress, and Money When Buying Online!
- Shop efficiently, safely and economically online by verifying the security of a Web site.
- The Home Page will tell you a lot about the e-tailer. If you can get help through "Live Chat" ask what information of yours will be shared. Live Chat is a service allowing you to talk to a sales representative by instant messaging.
- Contact Us and About Us should have a phone number. It is a sign that the site is serious about customer service. If you cannot find a phone number, look under Customer Service or Help. If you still cannot find it, you can e-mail the site to ask for a number. But if an e-tailer is that hard to find, you may want to shop elsewhere.
- Consumer fraud is low on the Web - only 6% originated online. Still protect yourself.
- Make all purchases on one credit card (Liability limit is $50).
- Avoid using a debit card (Liability limit is $500).
- Choose "Bill Me Later" if you do not want to use your credit card number.
- You can register with a third party, such as PayPal or Google Checkout.
- Look at the address to make sure there is a padlock icon to protect against hackers. Also that the web address begins with "https". The "s" on the end means "Secure". Never use your credit card information on a site that is not secure. "Hacker Safe" logo shows that a site has taken on extra steps for keeping out hackers.
- "Never Click Confirm" until you are sure the site is safe. Also read the e-tailer return and shopping policy. Even if the e-tailer offers free shipping, there may be a stocking fee for returning an item.