2018 Scholarship Program
FOR COLLEGE OR VOCATIONAL SCHOOL PROGRAMS
Shell Western States Federal Credit Union has established a scholarship program to assist student members who plan to continue education in college or vocational school programs. Scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at an accredited institution of the student’s choice. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability or national origin.
Applicants to the Shell Western States Federal Credit Union Scholarship Program must:
- Be student members of the Shell Western States Federal Credit Union whose account is in good standing as of the application deadline date (No outstanding negative balance in shares or delinquent loans).
- Be a high school senior planning to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school for the entire upcoming academic year.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive a $1,000.00 award. Two (2) awards of $1,000 each will be granted.
Interested students must complete the application and mail it along with a current, complete high school transcript of grades to Shell Western States FCU postmarked no later than April 15, 2018. Applicants will receive acknowledgment of receipt of their application. If an acknowledgment card is not received within three weeks, applicants may call Shell Western States FCU to verify that the application has been received. Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated. All information received is considered confidential.
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, statement of goals and aspirations and a minimum of 500-word essay or 4 minutes minimum video. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final. Applicants will be notified in May. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
ESSAY OR VIDEO TOPICS
Create an essay or video with one of the following topics. Include a short a short essay or video explaining “Why Shell Western States Federal Credit Union scholarship would be of financial assistance to me.”
- The importance of financial literacy.
- How your finances affect your life and your future.
- Being financially successful requires many skills. One needs to understand basic budgeting skills, know how to manage credit, practice good savings habits and how to plan for their financial future. Of these skills, describe the one you think is the most important and would have the biggest impact on your financial success and why?
PAYMENT OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarship winners will be notified before the end of the school year and payments will be made no later than August 15, 2018. Checks will be mailed to each recipient's home address and will be made payable to the school the student has been accepted to.
Recipients have no obligation to Shell Western States FCU. They are, however, required to notify of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
Shell Western States Federal Credit Union reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions regarding the scholarship program should be addressed to:
Shell Western States Federal Credit Union
1700 Pacheco Blvd.
Martinez, Ca 94553